Irish "Crowd Pleaser" Soda Bread
from Melodie Perry
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour a cast iron fry pan
4 C flour
1 C sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
2 C buttermilk (nonfat or 1%)
3/4 C raisins
Mix all in big bowl using a spoon. Bake 50 minutes until golden brown. Lightly butter the top.
Hearty Irish Lager Stew
Serves 8 (1 cup servings)
1Tbs veg oil
8 oz button or shiitake mushrooms, halved
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 med leak (white only) - diced
3 small red potatoes, 1 inch cubes
2 med carrots, peeled and sliced
2 small parsnips, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
1 - 15oz can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 C vegetable broth (low sodium)
2 sprigs fresh thyme - tied in a bundle
plus 1 tsp chopped thyme, divided
1/2 C lager beer
1 C quick-cooking tapioca
1 C shredded cabbage
1 Tbsp miso
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1. Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in large pot over med heat. Add mushrooms and garlic, saute 8 min or until mushrooms are brown. Remove from pan
2. Add remaining 1/2 tbsp oil to pot with leeks and cook 5 min.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and tomato paste. Cook 2 min.
4. Add tomatoes, broth, and thyme sprigs (bundle) - bring to boil. Reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer 40 min, stirring occasionally.
5. Add lager, tapioca, and mushroom/garlic. Simmer 10-15 min, stirring often.
6. Remove thyme bundle. Stir in cabbage and miso and simmer 4-5 min. or until cabbage softens.
7. Stir in chopped thyme and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
~Vegetarian Times (March 2011)